The autopsy for legendary singer Prince Rogers Nelson has been just completed. A rep for the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office in Minnesota said in a press conference that results from the exam won’t be disclosed until toxicology results come back, and they are also still gathering the singers medical records and family medical history.
“It was a complete exam and meticulous exam,” said Martha Weaver, Carver County Medical Examiner. “The body has now been released to the singer’s family.”
In the meantime the cause of the singer’s death is still a mystery. Reps for the 57-year- old musician said in the days leading up to his passing Thursday morning he had been battling the flu. But, a source close to the family has revealed to HipHollywood‘s head honcho Kevin Frazier that the singer had also been heavily reliant on pain pills, and may have suffered from an overdose.
“Because of hip and ankle injuries he struggled with an addiction to painkillers for many years” a source told Frazier. “He was a consummate performer and never wanted to disappoint his fans so to cancel a performance, as he did this month, something was drastically wrong.”
The source also told Frazier that the singer underwent hip replacement surgery several years ago, and had at one point got help for his addiction.
In the days before his untimely death, Prince’s private jet made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, hours after he performed in Atlanta. The singer was treated at a nearby hospital, and discharged 3 hours later. Many have reported that during his hospital stay he was treated for an overdose and had to be given a “save shot” typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate.
Prince died Thursday morning after being found unresponsive in his Paisley Park compound.