Dave Chappelle is speaking out in the wake of his Netflix special backlash.
Just days after it was reported that reps for Chappelle said he was willing to speak to transgender employees over comments from his stand up “The Closer” Chappelle said that was not true.
He revealed in a video posted to Instagram on Monday that he is was never approached to speak to anyone.
“It was said in the press that I was invited to speak to the transgender employees of Netflix and I refused. That is not true,” the 48 year old said in what appeared to be taken during a recent stand-up comedy show.
“If they invited me, I would have accepted it, although I’m confused about what we’re speaking about,” he continued. “I said what I said. And, boy, I heard what you said. My God, how could I not? You said you want a safe working environment at Netflix. Well, it seems like I’m the only one that can’t go to the office anymore.”
View this post on Instagram
Chappelle said he would however be open to talks but under certain conditions.
“First of all, you cannot come if you have not watched my special from beginning to end. You must come to a place of my choosing at a time of my choosing. And thirdly, you must admit that [Australian comedian and fellow Netflix star] Hannah Gadsby is not funny.”
The comedian also told the audience that his upcoming documentary about his summer 2020 comedy tour, titled “Untitled” has been excluded from film festivals because of calls to cancel him.
He then thanked Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos who following the backlash said the streamer would not pull the special.
As previously reported Chappelle faced major backlash online, employees from Netflix staged a walk out last week and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) also denounced Chappelle’s special in a statement.