It seems as though the collective prayers of the Black community have been answered. Christopher Darden is stepping down as legal counsel for Nipsey Hussle’s alleged murder, Eric Holder. Won’t he do it!
Darden made the announcement on Friday via his Facebook account explaining that threats against him and his family led to his decision to quit the case.
“After centuries of a history of black men hung from trees without trial, or after the thousands of cases of black men tried, convicted and executed without counsel … I cannot understand why in 2019 some people would deny a black man his 6th Amendment right to counsel of his choice,” he wrote. “Or why defending such a man should invite threats not only against me but against my children too.”
Darden, who famously prosecuted O.J. Simpson in his double murder trial, says the flood of hatred also reminded him of the O.J. case.
“Just as they were in 1995-Cowards never change. These days these cowards don’t send letters instead they sit anonymously behind keyboards threatening a man’s mother and children.”
Darden hinted he might reveal more in the future about exactly why he’s bailing on Holder — aka “Shitty Cuz” — but made it clear to his haters that he won’t forget … “To those who issued those threats to my children please pay close attention so there is no misunderstanding. Later. F**K YOU!”
Darden says he’s filed a motion to withdraw as Holder’s defense attorney. He did appear in court Friday with Holder for a brief hearing, but said that will be his last. A judge did grant Darden’s motion to withdraw and assigned a public defender, Mearl Lottman, to the case.
As previously reported Hussle, was outside his shop on Slauson Avenue on March 31, when a man believed to be Holder approached and opened fire. Hussle was fatally wounded, and two others were also shot.