21 Savage has 99 problems but a lawyer ain’t one, thanks to Jay Z. According to reports Jay is offering Savage some major support in the form of new legal counsel.
Per TMZ, Jay thinks Savages arrest and detention is an “absolute travesty” and wants to help the “Bank Account” rapper with his upcoming legal battle. Jay’s label Roc Nation has responded to what it calls a “matter of injustice” by hiring attorney Alex Spiro to assist with his case.
Spiro tells TMZ, “We are not going to stop until he is released, bonded out or in front of a judge … What we have here is someone who overstayed their Visa with an application pending for 4 years – not a convicted criminal that needs to be detained and removed but, by all accounts a wonderful person, father, and entertainer who has a marijuana offense which was vacated and sealed.”
THIS ISN’T JAY’S FIRST GOOD DEED
Jay’s helping hand amongst his hip-hop homies isn’t an anomaly either; ask Travis Scott, Lil’ Wayne, or Meek Mill. What’s more the 26-year-old isn’t even signed to Roc Nation. It’s just Jay being Jay.
As previously reported Savage, real name She’Yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph was arrested on Sunday February 4 by ICE ( Immigration and Customs Enforcement ) officials who claimed he was a U.K. national living in the U.S. illegally on a visa that expired in 2006.
21’s legal team recently released an official statement disputing ICE’s major claims, including their client’s criminal record.
ICE misled the press with “conjecture and misinformation” in connection with their client’s arrest. The official statement reads:
There has been a great deal of misreporting in the case of She’yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, known professionally as 21 Savage. Conjecture and misinformation help no one make good decisions and leads to false conclusions.
HERE ARE THE FACTS:
- Mr. Abraham-Joseph was born in the United Kingdom. Mr. Abraham-Joseph arrived legally in the United states at the age of 7. He remained in the United States until 2005, when he departed for approximately one month to visit the United Kingdom. He returned to the United States under a valid H-4 visa on July 22, 2005. Mr. Abraham-Joseph has been continuously physically present in the United States for almost 20 years, except for a brief visit abroad. Unfortunately, in 2006 Mr. Abraham-Joseph’s legal status expired through no fault of his own.
- Mr. Abraham-Joseph, like almost two million of his immigrant child peers, was left without immigration status as a young child with no way to fix his immigration status. These “Dreamers” come from all walks of life and every ethnicity.
- Mr. Abraham-Joseph has no criminal convictions or charges under state or federal law and is free to seek relief from removal in immigration court. ICE provided incorrect information to the press when it claimed he had a criminal conviction.
- Mr. Abraham-Joseph has three US Citizen children, a lawful permanent resident mother and four siblings that are either US Citizens or lawful permanent residents. He has exceptionally strong ties in the United States, having lived here since he was in the first grade. Because of his length of residence in the United States and his immediate relatives, Mr. Abraham-Joseph is eligible to seek Cancellation of Removal from an Immigration Judge.
- Mr. Abraham-Joseph was placed into deportation proceedings AFTER his arrest, he was not in deportation proceedings prior to this detention by ICE. DHS has known his address since the filing of a U visa application in 2017. He has never hidden from DHS or any of its agencies.
- Mr. Abraham-Joseph has a pending U visa application with the USCIS. This U visa was filed as a result of being the victim of a deadly shooting in 2013. That visa was filed in 2017 and remains pending. When granted, the U visa will afford him lawful status in the United States. Generally, ICE has recognized a pending facially valid U visa as a basis to delay removal proceedings and release individuals from custody.
Popular on Hip Hollywood
Boris Kodjoe Talks Directing Wife Nicole Ari Parker in ‘Safe Room’
Boris Kodjoe is adding director to his resume. The model-turned actor is making his directorial debut with the Lifetime thriller...
Denzel Shares Special Piece Of Advice Sidney Poitier Gave Him
Denzel Washington is reflecting on his special friendship with the late Sidney Poitier. Washington shared with HipHollywood while promoting his...
Numerous Guests Test Positive For Covid Following Kierra Sheard’s Vow Renewal
Jesus Take The Wheel! Attendees at Gospel prodigy Kierra Sheard’s vow renewal in Detroit went from singing along to Faith...
Adele, Beyonce & Bono! ‘Sing 2’ Cast Shares Their Dream Duets
The sequel to 2016’s animated musical Sing is finally here and it’s safe to say it hits a high note....
CELEBRITY4 days ago
Julia Fox Shoots Down Claims She’s With Kanye For The Clout
CELEBRITY4 days ago
OMG … Did Mama Joyce Get Her Butt Done?
MUSIC3 days ago
Update: Kanye Says He Retrieved Unreleased Kim Kardashian and Ray J Sex Tape
CELEBRITY3 days ago
Cardi B Wins Lawsuit Against Tasha K, Awarded Close To $4 Million