The “Queen Of Soul” will be laid to rest on Friday August 31, and you can best believe it’s going to be a long ceremony.
HipHollywood has exclusive details about her final homegoing service at Greater Grace Temple in Detroit, Michigan, and from the number of speakers, singers and musical selections it’s sure to be an all day affair. Here’s a breakdown by the numbers.
- 28 Performers: From Jennifer Hudson to Yolanda Adams to the Clark Sisters errybody and they cousins are slated to perform at Franklin’s funeral.
- 27 Speakers: And when folks aren’t singing songs, they will be singing Franklins praises. Everyone from Tyler Perry to Al Sharpton to Former NBA player Isaiah Thomas are slated to give remarks.
- 17 musical tributes: Get ready for Ariana Grande, Faith Hill, the Isley Brothers and more to bring down the house with rousing renditions of Franklin’s classics.
- 11 Members of the Clergy: There are some 11 Pastors, Reverends and Bishops on the program which means there definitely will be some shouting going on.
- 5 Dignitaries or Elected Officials: Former President Barack Obama will not be in attendance but sent a letter to be read. Meanwhile former President Bill Clinton will share remarks about Franklin who sang at his 1993 inauguration concert.
- 5 1/2 hours long: The service is slated to start at 9:30 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. but … we all know how your average black funeral runs over. You can only imagine a program of this magnitude will not run on time. Folks will have had breakfast, lunch and be prepping dinner by time this is over. We hope they take an intermission and hand out water and snacks.
- Church seats 4000 people: The Greater Grace Temple church seats 4000 people, and while this service is only open to close family and friends, we know it’s going to be packed with folks, even spilling in to the over-flow room.
- 5 minutes for each speaker: According to the program each speaker will be given 5 minutes for remarks … but we all know how that goes. A minute-here-and-a-minute-there get added and before anybody knows it, it’s 6:45 p.m and the street lights are coming on.
We’re just going to say a little prayer because ain’t no way this funeral will run on time … but then again whose keeping count, the Queen Of Soul is going home.