Connect with us

Mariah Carey’s name is still being tossed around after delivering a train wreck of a performance during Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest on Saturday night. But now, Carey’s team is putting an end to the chatter by dishing on exactly what went down the night of Carey’s onstage nightmare.

Lip-syncing, downright being off key and rumors that she skipped out on rehearsals have plagued Carey after the horrendous NYE meltdown and unfortunately, who’s to blame has turned into a round of he said, she said.

According to Dick Clark Productions, their veteran team “had no involvement in the challenges associated with Ms. Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance” and “to suggest that [Dick Clark Productions], as producer of music shows including the American Music Awards, Billboard  Music Awards, New Year’s Rockin’ Eve and Academy of Country Music Awards, would ever intentionally compromise the success of any artist is defamatory, outrageous and frankly absurd.”

Carey’s manager, however, is calling BS.

When asked by Entertainment Weekly about rehearsal rumors, manager Stella Bulochnikov suggested that, “Not only did she not ditch rehearsal, we got to Times Square at 2:30. The stage wasn’t ready for her until 3:20. We waited around for their stage manager. We had the stage from 3:20 to 3:50. She had a dance stand-in for the musical number. She sat on the side of the stage with her ear-pack and her in-ears and her microphone to make sure she could do the sound check. The most important thing to her was the sound. The sound was coming in choppy. She was assured it would work by the evening.”

Stella then went on to suggest that Carey’s team complained that her earpiece was giving the singer problems, but the production crew pushed her on stage anyhow. “She did an interview with Ryan Seacrest at about 10:35 where her in-ear was very choppy. She could barely hear Ryan. She was struggling to hear him through the noise of Times Square,” she said.

Bulochnikov, who is also featured on Carey’s reality show Mariah’s World, continued, “We then went to [producer] Mark Shimmel, the assigned talent executive to Mariah. And I said, ‘Her in-ears do not work, it’s choppy, we need new ears for the performance.’ He said, ‘Those are not the ears she’ll be working with for the performance. The ears she will be working with are in the trailer.’ We went to the trailer at 10:45.”

Stella added, “It’s now four minutes to showtime. She says, ‘I hear nothing in my ears, my ears are dead.’ The other stage manager says, ‘It will work right when we go live.’ Then things start to get chaotic. They start counting her down — four minutes, three minutes. Mariah: ‘I can’t hear.’ Them: ‘You’re gonna hear when it goes live — two minutes!'”

According to Mariah’s righthand woman, following the show, she asked producer Mark Shimmel what went wrong and said: “I just talked to my guys and I confirmed her in-ears didn’t work. Couldn’t she just wing it?” I’m like, ‘What are you talking about ‘winging it’? Are you on glue?’ He’s like, ‘What do you want me to do?’ I said, ‘I want you to cut the West Coast feed.’ He calls me back and says, ‘We can’t do it.’ So I’m like, ‘You would prefer to air a show with technical glitches so you can have a viral moment rather than protect the integrity of your show and Dick Clark Productions?’ He said, ‘We just won’t do it. Do you want to do a joint statement?’ And I said, ‘No, I want you to go f— yourself.’ And that was it. I don’t think it was an unfair ask to ask them to cut [the segment from] the West Coast feed after they had this huge mechanical glitch.”

Who do you believe?

Popular on Hip Hollywood

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *