Crazy. We were debating if Kanye was a genius or just crazy, and it’s definitely just crazy. Part three of the rapper’s interview with BBC premiered on Wednesday evening and boy is it a colorful 17-minutes. The rapper speaks candidly about his place in the world of fashion, his relationship with Jay Z, his fans and why clothes are more important than music.
Below are some of our favorite quotes from Ye’s interview.
- On His Fans “Go listen to all my music. It’s the codes of self-esteem. It’s the codes of who you are. If you’re a Kanye West fan, you’re not fan of me, you’re a fan of yourself. You will believe in yourself. I’m just the espresso. I’m just the shot in the morning to get you going.”
- On Family “It’s what Kim gave me. She gave me everything. She gave me family. She gave me a support system. She was in a powerful situation where she could love me without asking me for money, which was really hard for me to find.”
- On Collaborating With Jay Z On Watch the Throne “What I’m saying is, it’s about whatever I want to make it about. It’s my world.”
- On Jay Being More Chill Than Him “Jay is more realized than me. Meaning more of his dreams and hopes and aspirations has come true. And hopefully, God willing, by the time I’m his age that thing will happen for me also. And I’ll be in that place of a more zen’d out place.”
- On Contributing To The World “I’ve got so much that I want to give. I’ve got ideas on color palettes. I’ve got ideas on silhouettes. And I’ve got a million people telling me why I can’t do it; that I’m not a real designer. I’m not a real rapper either. I’m not a real musician either. I don’t know to play the piano.”
- On His Love Of Fashion “I’ve dedicated the past 10 years of my life to this. I’ve spent 80-percent of my time working on this and 20-percent of my time working on music. Why do you think the song “Niggas in Paris” is called “Niggas in Paris”? Cause niggas was in Paris.”
- On The Importance Of Fashion “It’s illegal to be naked. It’s not illegal to not listen to music. That is a very high opinion to have. That is something that is extremely important: shoes. You put on shoes everyday. You walking down the street with no shoes, somebody might think something is wrong with you.”
Check back later today for part three of the series.